Black-Eyed Susan along the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail

Black-Eyed Susan along the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail

Monday, July 1, 2024

Pumpkinvine mile posts

When PAC installed mileposts along the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail, the mileage locations north of County Road 33 were tentative because they were based on mileage on the road between County Road 33 and County Road 35. At the time, I suggested installing those mile markers so they could be moved once the gaps between County Road 33 and County Road 35 were completed and someone could calculate the actual mileage.

Today I happened to think about that issue while riding from Abshire to mile 8.5 north of U.S. 20.  I didn't start out to check the mileage, but when I got to County Road 37, I decided to continue on to milepost 8.5 to see how close it was to my GPS. Well, my GPS read 8.5 at the 8.5-mile marker. However, I started the GPS in the Abshire parking lot, so I probably rode another .1 miles before reaching State Road 4, which is where the mileage starts. On another ride, I can start counting at State Road 4, but I'd say there's no need to move mile posts if they are off by 1/10 of a mile. Would participants in the Maple City Walk marathon and half marathon care?  

No comments:

Post a Comment